Spring is on its way, is your home and garden ready for the warmer weather? While warmer weather brings fun and adventure, it also requires a bit of work on your part to get your home and garden ready for spring and summer. There are several much needed repairs and maintenance projects that need to be accomplished if you want to avoid breakdowns and complications a few months into summer. The following article outlines five essential spring maintenance projects to get the ball rolling on spring and to ensure a successful season for your home and garden. For help with extensive repairs and maintenance of your garage door, contact a company such as Zook Garage Door Services.
Five Essential Spring Maintenance Projects
When spring rolls around, most people get the itch to go outside and get started on their spring projects. Before you can begin most gardening and planting, however, there are several maintenance projects you must perform. The following list outlines five essential spring maintenance projects.
- Project #1: Sharpen lawnmower blades. The key to a healthy lawn is a clean shave. Mowing your lawn with a dull blade will tug on the grass blades, causing damage as well as an unsightly mowing job. Sharpen your lawnmower blades before you mow your lawn for the first time this spring.
- Project #2: Clean your rain gutters. Fall and winter weather can effectively clog your rain gutters with wet leaves and all sorts of debris. Since spring showers are on the way, you need clean gutters if you want to avoid flooding and other complications. Break out your ladder and inspect your gutters for clogs. Run a hose through your downspout to make sure there is no clog blocking the flow of water.
- Project #3: Inspect and repair your roof. Avoiding small repairs on your roof can lead to big problems later on that will cost you a bundle. Once all of the snow has melted for the year, visually inspect your roof for damage. If you suspect a missing shingle or two, climb onto the roof and take care of the problems now, while the weather is still fairly mild. You do not want to be up on a scorching roof during the heat of summer, so take care of the problem now before it becomes major. If there is pooling or visible sagging on your roof, it is time to call in a roofing contractor to take care of serious damage.
- Project #4: Transplanting trees and shrubs. Spring is a great time to transplant trees and shrubs, as the weather is mild and optimum for helping plants take root. Do not transplant in summer, as the weather is too harsh and plants often go dormant. Transplant trees and shrubs in strategic locations to provide you with shade and comfort for years to come.
- Project #5: Maintain your garage door. Most people never give any thought to their garage door, but it is a machine that must be maintained just like any other. Take a few minutes to make sure everything is in line, and that the safety features are working properly. Over time, your garage door may become misaligned and need adjusting. For professional help with your garage door maintenance and repairs, contact a company such as Zook Garage Door Services.